The Research Centre Eisenbahnbetriebsfeld Darmstadt (EBD)
The Eisenbahnbetriebsfeld Darmstadt is operated by a collaboration of three partners:
- DB Training, Learning & Consulting
- ‘Railways' Academic Working Group (AKA Bahn)
- Institute of Railway Engineering at TU Darmstadt.
The jointly operated simulation facility is used, among others, for testing new operational principles and exploring new approaches for the interaction between traffic controllers and electronic interlocking. Moreover, dispatching tools and methods are developed further.
During a bachelor grade course, the EBD is used to illustrate the process of ‘driving a train’ by utilising the different interlocking techniques, and gain an insight into the complexity of the process. The master grade courses at the chair of railway engineering include a ‘railroad safety systems’ course that feature training at EBD and covers the following topics:
- basic requirements for security systems
- the fundamentals of safety engineering
- the principles of signal boxes
- future development of interlocking systems.
More information can be found in the EURAILmag article “TU Darmstadt – Research, Training & more besides” from the authors Constanze Streitzig, Anselmo Stelzer, Sebastian Schön and Friederike Chu (Number 26 pages 152 to 159 read the article).
Link to /www.eisenbahnbetriebsfeld.de